Monday, March 18, 2013

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation

     The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation was created in 1946, to house returning World War 11 veterans and their families. In subsequent years, the federal Crown corporation built affordable housing; funded urban renewal projects; preserved historic neighbourhoods; gave Residential Rehabilitation grants to homeowners, to repair and upgrade their houses; gave Research and Development grants to scientists; redeveloped Granville Island in Vancouver and built Habitat in Montreal; launched a Green Building Program...The CMHC was given the United Nations Peace Medal in 1982 for "promoting a better understanding among people of the ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) countries, as host of a study tour on housing, building and planning." 
Habitat '67 in Montreal, Quebec.
 "The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act" was created:
Section 28 (1):
     "The Corporation has the power to manage, acquire, hold, lend, lease and dispose of real and personal property."

The Kingstonian Apartments at 780 Division Street in Kingston, Ontario were denationalized:
A 2007 classified ad from the Globe and Mail newspaper. The Kingstonian Apartments were renamed "Frontenac Place".

The Fraser Institute lobbied for the devolution of all Canada Mortgage and Housing holdings in British Columbia, to the province of BC.

A Fraser Institute document, calling for the devolution of CMHC real estate to the province of BC.
T
The Blair Rifle Range in North Vancouver was owned by DND from 1927 until 1967, when it was sold to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. (Image is from the Directory of Federal Real Property.)
As far back as 1995 the Government of Canada wanted to redevelop the Blair Rifle Range:
                                                         ORDER-IN-COUNCIL
National Housing Act - 1995-1825 - Authority to enter into a SUPPLEMENTARY AGREEMENT between the Crown, the Province of BRITISH COLUMBIA and the CANADA MORTGAGE AND HOUSING CORPORATION which provides for future changes in the active party responsible for the development of the land comprised of the former BLAIR RIFLE RANGE, located in the District of North Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment