Monday, June 1, 2020

Tabling a Letter of Thanks from the President of the United States.

House of Commons  Ottawa   June 12, 1961.
The Hon. Daniel Roland Michener (Speaker of the House of Commons.)
The letter reads as follows:
     "Dear Mr. Speaker: The high point of my recent visit to Ottawa was the opportunity so generously accorded me to address the distinguished members of the Canadian Parliament in the chamber of the House of Commons. Such an opportunity comes to few men and I am most grateful for it. I think the occasion was highly symbolic - and as such should be well noted throughout the world - of the splendid relationship enjoyed between your country and mine. In addition to registering my thanks for being invited to speak before parliament I must add that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
     "Please accept my great appreciation for the very great consideration shown to my wife and myself during our visit to Ottawa. I note that you will be coming to Washington soon with other members of the United States-Canadian parliamentary group, and I hope to have the chance to thank you personally for your friendliness during my visit to Ottawa.
Sincerely,
John F. Kennedy.
"President of the United States John F. Kennedy accompanied by his spouse, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, and the Hon. John G. Diefenbaker on the steps of Parliament, May 17, 1961." (National Archives of Canada.)

Several YouTube videos document the presidential visit:
President in Canada (1961) Produced by British Pathe.
JFK and Wife Jackie visit Ottawa - CBC/Radio Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment