Saturday, March 20, 2021

"History for sale: museum turns to Kijiji to purge collection."

 Article by CBC News, February 22, 2018. "(We had to) get rid of the pieces that don't belong in the collection, the pieces that aren't significant, that aren't important." A comment from the Science and Technology Museum, Ottawa. The bench is from the former Union Station or Conference Centre in Ottawa. As I have said before I was employed at the Conference Centre during the early 1980's. I still remember the Grand Hall, the murals, a tunnel that connected the railway station to the Chateau Laurier, the furniture..Shame on you, whoever put a $4,000 dollar pricetag on my country's history; whoever removed this bench in the first place. I am surprised that you did not dump it off at the Salvation Army or Goodwill, but somebody had to profit from this misappropriation of cultural property.




No comments:

Post a Comment