Saturday, August 13, 2022

"I do not think that my constituents would choose to sacrifice an open space."

A quote from the Hon. Lloyd Francis, a future Speaker of the House of Commons.

SPEECH FROM THE THRONE- CONTINUATION OF DEBATE:

House of Commons Ottawa October 10, 1974 Mr. Francis (Ottawa West) Liberal: "...The hon. member for Grenville-Carleton (Mr. Baker) raised a whole series of points concerning the functioning of the National Capital Commission and its relationship to the federal government structure in this area. I understand that a special committee will be dealing with this matter and, as one member of this House, I certainly intend to take a concientious interest in the work of that committee. The report of the former Chairman of the Commission Mr. Douglas Fullerton, will no doubt, be the basis of the examination which is to be carried out."

"I wish to pay tribute to Mr. Fullerton for his imaginative and innovative use of public funds and public lands. However, I wish to take issue with him on one score and express quiet but firm disagreement with him. He may have been right on a number of things, but I do not think he was right when he proposed that part of the Experimental Farm should be used for housing. Despite the fact that there is a serious housing shortage in this area I do not think that my constituents would choose to sacrifice an open space which is such a precious thing for the community."

Some hon. Members: "Hear, hear!"

No comments:

Post a Comment