Saturday, November 24, 2018

How disrespectful.

     "New Canadians take citizenship oath on CN Tower Edgewalk."( CTV News)
     A federal government building in Toronto should have been the venue where new Canadians swear their Oath of Allegiance to the Crown. Such as the majestic Dominion Public Building on Front Street. Oh, I forgot, the Dominion Public Building was sold a few months ago.
     In Ottawa, new Canadians can take the Oath in a Government of Canada building---L'Esplanade Laurier or the C.D. Howe Building for example. People from other countries should respect our traditions, our Maple Leaf Flag, and our history. I did not see any Maple Leaf Flag displayed on the CN Tower outdoor platform.
     Perhaps I am showing my advanced age. Maybe the words patriotism and nationalism are not as meaningful as they once were. In 1967, a few of my schoolmates and I actually cried when we sang "O Canada" and the Bobby Gimby song "Can-a-da" during assemblies. Our National Flag was prominently displayed in every classroom. Teachers accompanied us on visits to the Parliament Buildings, Experimental Farm, the Dominion Observatory, and Expo 67 in Montreal. The Dominion Observatory telescope was still functioning during the 1960's. I wore a dress, white gloves, a hat, black patent leather shoes and white socks whenever I attended church.








No comments:

Post a Comment