Monday, March 23, 2020

The sale of all federal real estate in Canada.

     "It concerns me that in one year, with the support of this bill, it is possible that there will be no Crown land assets left." Mr. Dennis Mills,( Broadview-Greenwood, Toronto) Liberal - November 22, 1991. Regarding changes to the Federal Real Property Act.

House of Commons Debates, Ottawa      November 22, 1991.
 Mr. John Nunziata (York-South Weston):
      "Madam Speaker, I would like to ask a general question about the disposition of publicly owned land or publicly owned assets...We know that the NDP government in Ontario has sold the public interest in the SkyDome. The taxpayers of Ontario had an interest in the SkyDome. It was revealed this week that the proceeds of that particular sale would be used to reduce the deficit."

Mr. Dennis Mills (Broadview-Greenwood):
      "Madam Speaker, when I got up this morning and headed to the House I actually had no intention of speaking. Then in my office I read part of Bill C-3, an act respecting the acquisition, administration and disposition of real property by the Government of Canada...as I started to reflect on what is really going on in this bill I became concerned. There is another aspect of this bill which disturbs me immensely. It concerns me that in one year, with the support of this bill, it is possible that there will be no Crown land assets left...I think of Toronto, my own city, of Toronto, and the way this government has disposed of Harbourfront land...and of the disposition of the CBC lands. This is a bill that is going to make the developers of every region and every city of Canada ecstatic...We could find that we sold off a piece of land and then 10 years from now we may say "Why did we do that? We could have used that for parkland. We could have used it for public housing."
 In my opinion, the Government of Canada should buy the 20 provincial parks that the Province of Alberta no longer wants...that includes the UNESCO protected Dinosaur Provincial Park. Alberta politicians know exactly what is going to happen to the provincial parks that they are currently selling:

---multinational resource companies will descend upon Alberta and cut down thousands of trees,siphon away the water which is known as blue gold; extract the minerals and oil and gas; build housing subdivisions for thousands of workers; put up "NO TRESPASSING" and "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs and chain link fences and shoot any wild animals that dare to trespass on their own habitat.  The dinosaur bones will be scattered to the winds or dump trucks will haul them away to a museum, perhaps the Drumheller Museum.
I visited Peace River, Grande Prairie and several other Alberta cities not long ago. Sometimes my family and I drove for an hour without seeing another vehicle on the road. A park located near Peace River is on the hit list.
I am in front of the World's Largest Honeybee located in the village of Falher, Northern Alberta.

Friendly extraterrestrials in the middle of nowhere, Northern Alberta.
Harbourfront was a government of Canada Crown corporation created in 1972 . The Trudeau government expropriated 100 acres of waterfront land in Toronto, Ontario, in order to clean up industrial land and return it to the citizens of Toronto, as parkland and a cultural and artistic mecca. Eventually Harbourfront  land holdings were reduced from 100 acres to ten acres.
 As I have said before on this blog, I lived in Parkdale during the year 1978, and the waterfront was beautiful. There were thousands of trees, sandy beaches that were staffed by lifeguards; picnic tables and hibachis; nature and bicycle trails, and I saw people riding horses. Nearby there were chip wagons, hot dog and hamburger stands and venues to buy ice cream and popsicles.
I could hear children laughing as they played on the playgrounds; the wind whistling through the trees; birds and chipmunks; and dogs barking as they ran after Frisbees.
It was a paradise, an oasis.
The 100-acre Harbourfront during the 1970's.






No comments:

Post a Comment