Sunday, April 9, 2023

Queen Juliana Park before and after.


April 8,2023. The photos are from the Reimagine Ottawa Twitter page.
I cannot witness what is happening to "Canada's Farm". If I drive by I will probably break down and cry. I'll find another route to my favourite restaurants on Preston Street. My daughter was employed at a Preston Street restaurant for years, and my family and I celebrated graduations, weddings and birthdays there and visited the Comedy Club.

 Queen Juliana Park was a Memorial to Canadian soldiers who died during the liberation of the Netherlands during World War 11. The Farm is a National Historic Site of Canada and a National Interest Land Mass. In the year 1976 the Trudeau government gave the park to the citizens of Canada, after the National Capital Commission banned the use of Commissioners Park for:

  • Canada Day and Italian Week festivities
  • Humane Society events
  • Native Indian Pow Wow's
  • the run for Juvenile Diabetes
  • picnics, play activities and bird watching
 Prime Ministers of Canada, Federal Members of Parliament, Agriculture Ministers, the Ontario Provincial Government; Ottawa City Councillors Katherine Hobbs, Jeff Leiper, Catherine McKenney, Rawlson King and Shawn Menard; Senator Mike Duffy, Reimagine Ottawa, Friends of the Farm, Ecology Ottawa, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and many more organizations fought for years to save the 1,000 acre farm.

So did I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment