Sunday, October 14, 2018

Why were Canada's Dominion Observatories decommissioned or sold off.

     The Gonzales Dominion Observatory in Victoria, British Columbia was sold in 1992. Environment Canada  decommissioned the building before the federal government sold the observatory and land to a BC provincial Crown corporation called the Capital Regional District. The "disposal" of the property was facilitated through a Privy Council Order-in-Council.
The former Gonzales Observatory, located on Denison Road in Victoria, British Columbia.
During the year 1965, my school mates and I visited the Experimental Farm in Ottawa(as it was known then) during a field trip. I vividly remember looking through the Dominion Observatory telescope, a telescope that was removed from the Observatory in 1970. Thousands of school children are being denied the opportunity to look at space through massive, publicly-owned telescopes. Canada's astrophysical observatories are just as beautiful as the Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles, which was immortalized in the James Dean/Natalie Wood movie "Rebel Without a Cause". I cannot imagine the Americans selling off the Griffith Observatory, or their SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute in New Mexico. The Jodie Foster movie "Contact" was filmed in New Mexico and Arizona.

A UFO experience:
 During the year 1956, most of the residents of the village of Eastons Corners, including my grandparents and my mother, were mesmerized by an object hovering in the sky. I was confused about the fact that my neighbours were wearing their pajamas and housecoats---in public. And they were looking up at something in the sky and pointing. Then I looked up at the sky...
 I later read  books by Jung (dealing with the collective unconscious); Gurdjieff , Robert Anton Wilson and mystics, to try to understand the events.
I read articles about NASA astronaut  Edgar Mitchell and American President Jimmy Carter, who saw unidentified flying objects. During my college years, I interviewed an astronaut, see my blog on savecfbrockcliffe, "My interview with Apollo Astronaut James Irwin."
Royal Canadian Mint UFO coin.
Former Canadian Minister of Defence Paul Hellyer believes in the existence of UFO's and non-human races.
Canadian Defence Minister Paul Hellyer is pictured on the left; my father George Shaw is on the right.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following photographs are from the Internet blog "Library and Archives Canada Blog":
The Ottawa Dominion Observatory.
Telescope at Gonzales.

                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment