Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Heritage buildings have a soul.

Animism is a religious belief that all creatures, objects, landscapes, weather systems and buildings possess a spirit. Prince Charles of England is unfairly ridiculed for talking to his plants. Many women keep their wedding dresses for years.
.I will break down and cry if I ever see a video of Kingston Penitentiary or Montreal's Silo No. 5. crumbling. I find if unpatriotic that foreigners owned the Palliser Hotel, Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, Royal York, Jasper Park Lodge, Chateau Frontenac, Chateau Montebello... I turn the channel whenever I see Bill Gates on television, knowing how cavalier he is, how he turned his back on people who tried to save part of their built heritage. Maybe I am obsessed, I have been trying for several years to galvanize people, to try to make them care about Canada's maritime, railway and penitentiary history.
I know how it feels to hit a metaphorical brick wall. To reach out in the darkness and feel that no one is there, no one is listening. Does it take away a piece of your soul when Canada's Maple Leaf Flag and Coat of Arms are stripped from government buildings when they are privatized? Do you care about the fact that your grandchildren will see "No trespassing" and "Private Property" signs at the gates of our National Parks?
The term selective demolition makes me physically ill when it applies to Toronto's Union Station  and Ottawa's Conference Centre and the de Havilland Building. From the very depths of my being I have tried to communicate how I feel about the loss of nationally-owned property. I persevere because of my belief  that Canada's history is more important than money, and that the National Parks are a birthright that should be preserved for people, animals and ecosystems who occupy this Earth long after I am gone. It is difficult  to continue in the face of collective apathy, non-existent heritage  laws and powerful Crown corporations. The National Capital Commission should be deactivated or their mandate should be evolved. They should be gatekeepers, protectors of federally-owned land and buildings. People from all across the world are concerned about the NCC's plan to sell 50 acres of the Central Experimental Farm in Ottawa to the Civic Hospital, see the YouTube video "Ottawa prepares to hand over Historic Federal Farm land to corporate developers."
I never want to hear the following words and phrases again:
1.) Commercial Crown corporation
2.) surplus land
3.) We will consult with the public before divesting the land - as if the National Capital Commission and the Canada Lands Company care about the opinions of ordinary people.
4.) selective demolition
5.) privatized Crown property
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and I yelled at the house "Hey what gives you the right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out and to keep Mother Nature in"
"If God was here He'd tell you to your face, man you're some kind of sinner."
Sign, sign everywhere a sign, blockin' out the scenery and breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign.
Signs, by the Five Man Electrical Band, a Canadian rock group from Ottawa.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The YouTube video "Snow Music: Color/Dance" encapsulates a 10-minute journey through the Experimental Farm.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fraser Institute wants to see the devolution of National Parks in British Columbia. And Parks Canada may sell $8.3 billion dollars with of infrastructure in the National Parks.

Part of a Fraser Institute document.

































No comments:

Post a Comment