Saturday, October 12, 2024

"Keep developers off the Farm."

"A 1998 survey found that 74% of Ottawa-Carleton residents wanted to keep housing subdivisions off the Central Experimental Farm land; and even more (78%) did not want major office or commercial buildings there. Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson was not surprised by the results, saying "I think the Central Experimental Farm is a real gem in the city and I don't think the public wants to take open and green space and have it developed." (The survey by COMPAS was published in the Ottawa Citizen on August 3, 1998. The comment by Mayor Jim Watson can be found in the friendsofthefarm newsletter, summer of 2013, page 10/12.) 

House of Commons Ottawa May 13, 1960 The Hon. Douglas Harkness (Minister of Agriculture) Progressive Conservative: "I think my views with respect to the experimental farm are well known and have been very well publicized in the local Ottawa papers. I have stated on numerous occasions that I am opposed to any of this land being alienated for building purposes. Greenhouses, barns, scientific laboratories, etc. are permitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment